Whether your style is all-out retro or transitional with touches of the past, mid-century home decor is for you! According to Architectural Digest, the movement blossomed from early 20th century Modernism; characteristics of mid-century decor include simplicity of design, organic shapes, and emphasis on function.
You might be wondering how to incorporate this style into your home. Here are a few suggestions:
- Display an abstract metal wall sculpture with rounded, mod shapes.
- Swap out traditional magazine racks or accent tables for sleeker styles.
- Place a geometric area rug on the floor as a statement piece.
- Update an entertainment center with chic furniture in light or warm finishes.
Click here to shop these and other mid-century home furnishings on the Touch of Class® site.
Are you looking to add some contemporary pizzazz to the area above your sofa? Take a look at the display we created with a variety of mirrored metal wall art pieces. We chose various wall accents but kept a cohesive appearance by selecting all mirrored items with golden metallic finishes. To keep the display from looking staid, we mixed round, smooth-edged wall art with sunburst-style pieces. We also varied the sizes (16” dia. up to 31” dia.) to enhance the interest of the arrangement. This type of collage will certainly be the focal point of your room, so select neutrals nearby to avoid competing decor.
Click here to view all the mirrored metal wall art we used to create the display shown.
Are you looking for a unique take on autumn home decor? Try contemporary furnishings in warm, metallic shades! Gilded shades of aged gold, bronze, and copper provide a sophisticated alternative to those ubiquitous fiery reds and oranges found in fall decorating. Here are just a few ideas on how to infuse your room with modern verve and metallic hues:
- Select a bold geometric rug with an avant-garde, art deco flair to provide the foundation.
- Choose complementary window treatments that utilize similar shades.
- Protect furnishings with solid-color covers to break up the striking patterns found in the room.
- Illuminate the posh setting with a multi-arm floor lamp finished in a metallic tone.
- Accessorize with shimmering throw pillows, an abstract sculpture, or a pair of sleek metal sconces.
Click here to view a variety of metallic home decor, including the items shown below.
Click here to shop only the items featured in the room below.