Whether your style is all-out retro or transitional with touches of the past, mid-century home decor is for you! According to Architectural Digest, the movement blossomed from early 20th century Modernism; characteristics of mid-century decor include simplicity of design, organic shapes, and emphasis on function.
You might be wondering how to incorporate this style into your home. Here are a few suggestions:
- Display an abstract metal wall sculpture with rounded, mod shapes.
- Swap out traditional magazine racks or accent tables for sleeker styles.
- Place a geometric area rug on the floor as a statement piece.
- Update an entertainment center with chic furniture in light or warm finishes.
Click here to shop these and other mid-century home furnishings on the Touch of Class® site.
Whether you’re a traditionalist, you love contemporary design, or you’re trying your hand at modern farmhouse decorating, you can find furnishings to complement your look among the Carter Furniture Collection. A wooden and black metal construction is the foundation of this collection; you’ll also find openwork designs, bold curved supports, weathered faux slatted surfaces, and ample display space.
The airy aesthetic and transitional style of these pieces make them wonderful additions to your home. Place the chairside table and caster-wheel coffee table in your living room, or create a media center with the five-tier shelves and console table. You can even use the five-tier shelf as an open bookshelf.
Click here to view the Carter Furniture Collection.
Would you love for your living room to feel like a vacation spot? When you decorate with Clearwater home decor, you can almost hear the water rushing to the shore or the seagulls in the distance.
How did we create this look?
We used the Clearwater Reversible Striped Furniture Covers to protect the furnishings and set a cool, coastal vibe in the room. Furniture protectors are exclusive designs available only at Touch of Class®.
We tied the look together with the coordinating Clearwater Nautilus Rugs, Clearwater Window Treatments, and Clearwater Decorative Pillows.
We hung a canvas triptych over the sofa and decorated nearby walls with wooden seahorse art.
We placed a beachy console table by the recliner and topped it with a coastal centerpiece, seashell lamp, and striped wall clock.
Click here to view the furnishings we used to create the Clearwater Living Room.
When it comes to picking a starting point for your home decor, a bench might be the last thing on your mind; however, a bench makes a great “centerpiece” for almost any area of the home. There’s something cozy about an upholstered bench, and you can easily switch out the furnishings around it as desired. Keep reading to see how we created looks around two benches.
The Isabelle Ecru Storage Bench has a classic transitional appearance that pairs well with a variety of home accents. We added a variegated rug, plush decorative pillow, knitted throw blanket, floor vase, and metallic collage-style wall art. Click here to view most of the items we used to create this look.
The Vivian Tufted Bench brings Old World style to your space with its gold and taupe acanthus leaf pattern on burgundy. Complement the bench with an elegant rug, nubby throw blanket, metal wall grille, traditional lamp, and pedestal table. Click here to view the items we used to create this look.
The interior entryway of your home receives plenty of foot traffic, but have you given it appropriate decorating attention? If the entryway is looking more “eh” than “elegant,” these decorating ideas will be just what you need.
Feel free to customize this look to your heart’s content using new furnishings and those you already own; use your favorite table lamp pair to light up the space, swap out the wall grille for another striking wall decor piece, or move a neglected upholstered chair from a shadowy corner to a prime spot beside the console table. Click here to view all the items that we used.
How did we create this look?
We chose home furnishings with the common thread of elegant traditional style. We balanced heavier or darker pieces with luminous or light colors like gold, cream, alabaster, and ivory.
- Place a console table against the entryway wall. Make sure it is wide and sturdy enough to support two table lamps. An open, airy design will keep this area from looking stuffy.
- Hang two wall mirror panels an equal distance apart from the sides of the console table.
- Display a vertical metal wall grille between the two mirrors, directly above the center of the console.
- Position an upholstered accent chair to one side of the console table.
- Top the console table with traditional table lamps and an additional accent if you like (such as a tabletop photo frame or covered bowl).
- Place an Aubusson-style rug runner in front of the console table and chair.
We’re shining a spotlight on one of our favorite fall colors: cinnabar! This deep red-orange shade can be used all year long, but it’s fabulous in fall as a sophisticated alternative to pumpkin oranges and bright reds. Here are a few ways you can decorate with cinnabar in your home this autumn.
1. Pair solid-color cinnabar curtains with drapes in a compatible color like antique gold, bronze, beige, or brown. Complete the window treatment with matching waterfall valances, then use metal wall art panels at the sides to accent the arrangement in a symmetrical fashion. If you’re feeling adventurous, choose artwork with complementary color pops of golden orange, turquoise, or sage.
2. Drape a furnishing in a sunset-colored furniture protector to keep it looking great and brighten your living room for fall. Hang framed wall art prints in neutral tones over your loveseat or sofa to provide a polished look while keeping the attention on the beautiful sunset hue.
3. Layer European shams and decorative pillows in ember glow atop your bed to enhance the pattern colors and give your bedroom a luxe look. Place a sleek lamp with a clear glass font on your bedside table and hang a mirrored wall art piece above the headboard for sumptuous appeal.
4. Place plush, solid cinnabar mats on your bathroom floor for cushion underfoot, and choose a toilet lid cover in a matching color for a unified appearance. Then add your classiest bath furnishings in metallics or neutrals, or choose accessories in autumn tones for a full-out fall aesthetic.
Is that solid color furniture protector looking a little drab and worn? The Riverpark Furniture Cover would be an excellent replacement, featuring a colorful stripe pattern and reversible material.
This striped furniture cover provides you with two looks in one. Display the stripes in warm, earthy hues, or flip the cover over to show stripes in shades of green and brown. The nature-inspired color palette is perfect for late summer and autumn—or all year round, if you choose.
The channel-quilted, brushed polyester microfiber furniture cover has a divided side pocket for your accessories (and the reverse does too). All sizes except the recliner cover have straps with D-rings, so you can keep the furniture protector in place. Cover your recliner, wing chair, loveseat, or sofa, and simply remove the protector for washing when it collects too much pet hair or dirt.
This reversible furniture cover is a Touch of Class® design exclusive, so you won’t find it anywhere else. Click here to view measurement information and to order this cover.
You can also view the entire exclusive Riverpark Home Decor Collection by clicking this link.