The interior entryway of your home receives plenty of foot traffic, but have you given it appropriate decorating attention? If the entryway is looking more “eh” than “elegant,” these decorating ideas will be just what you need.
Feel free to customize this look to your heart’s content using new furnishings and those you already own; use your favorite table lamp pair to light up the space, swap out the wall grille for another striking wall decor piece, or move a neglected upholstered chair from a shadowy corner to a prime spot beside the console table. Click here to view all the items that we used.
How did we create this look?
We chose home furnishings with the common thread of elegant traditional style. We balanced heavier or darker pieces with luminous or light colors like gold, cream, alabaster, and ivory.
- Place a console table against the entryway wall. Make sure it is wide and sturdy enough to support two table lamps. An open, airy design will keep this area from looking stuffy.
- Hang two wall mirror panels an equal distance apart from the sides of the console table.
- Display a vertical metal wall grille between the two mirrors, directly above the center of the console.
- Position an upholstered accent chair to one side of the console table.
- Top the console table with traditional table lamps and an additional accent if you like (such as a tabletop photo frame or covered bowl).
- Place an Aubusson-style rug runner in front of the console table and chair.
Does your home’s entryway resemble a cluttered shanty by the sea instead of a tidy coastal cottage? Let us help with these decorating ideas! Shape your entryway into a cute, accessible coastal command center with a charming mix of decorative pieces and handy organizers.
Click here to view all the items we used to create this look.
Start with casual organizers and hooks in light or weathered hues for a beach-inspired aesthetic. The rattan drawers of the Corvaserro Storage Cabinet will hold stray articles and keep them out of sight. Hang your keys, wraps, or parasols from the Shoreline Treasures Wall Hooks, so that the items you need most are within easy reach. Step onto the skid-resistant Rest, Relax, Refresh Foam Comfort Mat to kick off or slip on your sandals. The fun lighthouse and starfish design wonderfully complements the coastal entryway theme.
Guide the eye upward with functional wall pieces that resemble driftwood or boardwalk planks. The Relax on Beach Time Wall Clock is hand-assembled in the USA from local natural pallet wood and features cool hues. Leave messages to your family on the Weathered Chalkboard, and use the included clips to dangle notes or your favorite beach photos.
Since this splashy command center is not just utilitarian, remember to sprinkle in some beach-kissed decorative wall plaques. The four-piece Beach Memories Wall Plaque Set features realistic, dimensional resin starfish, along with coastal quotes like “You can shake the sand from your shoes but it never leaves your soul.”
A common welcome mat might get the job done, but why not give newcomers a little taste of grandeur? Add a dash of gravitas to your front entry with one of these robust relics, and you’ll have every onlooker longing to see what’s inside…
1. Entryway Accents: These statuesque elements look stately when positioned near or on either side of the doorway. As though plucked from the mouth of some forgotten temple, the Lions at Guard Sculptures harbor an ancient knowledge in their steady gaze and noble profiles. Taut tendons and rippling musculature give these stoic beasts an air of realism, while their weathered sand finishes convey quiet impact.
2. Doormats and Stair Treads: For drama felt in every footfall, outfit your entryway with stair treads and doormats. The recycled rubber Tuscany Stair Treads and Doormats are platforms of cobblestone fringed by cool-toned pebbles. Ascending your front steps or pooling outward from the threshold, these treads and mats beckon all into the arid reaches of your own Tuscan villa.
3. Address Plaques: Those standard black digits might whimper your house number into the streets, but the LaRoyal House Number Plaques will brandish your address with finesse. The bronze- or black-finished base is an ornate backdrop of twining scrolls. Raised gold or silver numbers display your house number. For weather and tarnish resistance, all plaques are finished with a protective powder coat.
4. Planters and Plant Stands: Perfect for displaying greenery, planters and plant stands give entryways a natural flourish. The Classic Roman Column Pedestal is antiquated and stately, alluring to time-honored architecture. With its scrolling volutes and ornate leaves, the ornamentation on this ionic column echoes the lush florals with which you will crown it.
All of these and more are the items necessary to spark a theatrical presence right at your front door. The outdoor area is an extension of your inner living space, a preview of sights soon to behold. So, tantalize your visitors. Make their every entrance a grand entrance.